As You Like It
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
As You Like It

Forum for Grade 12 Business Leadership course. BOH4M

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Music Rights

Go down 
+2
sally
Sam
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sam

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 1:39 pm

This is the email that I'm going to send to Sandra from Sony music. It's almost identical to the previous email with a few differences. Please make any additions or changes if you can Smile

Dear Catherine,

My name is Sam Lee, and I am a student from Richmond Green Secondary School. I wish to speak to you about music rights.
Our Musical Theatre class will be performing a play as a summative evaluation. We will be singing numerous songs owned by Sony music live. In addition, we will be putting on a night show of the performance and selling tickets to the public. The reason for the sale of tickets is because we want to cover the costs of putting on the show.

We have recently contacted SOCAN, and they informed us that we are exempt because the show is curriculum related and is being performed as a final examination. However, because we will be selling tickets and putting on an evening performance to cover our costs, they asked us to contact you in order to obtain the rights to the music.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Sam Lee
Back to top Go down
sally

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Dear Catherine,

My name is Sam Lee, and I am a student from Richmond Green Secondary School. I am hoping to speak to you in regards to the music rights of a performace our school is putting on.

Our Musical Theatre class will be performing a play as a summative evaluation. We will be singing numerous songs owned by Sony music live. In addition, we will be putting on a night show of the performance and selling tickets to the public. The reason for the sale of tickets is because we want to cover the costs of putting on the show.

We have recently contacted SOCAN, and they informed us that we are exempt because the show is curriculum related and is being performed as a final examination. However, because we will be selling tickets and putting on an evening performance to cover our costs, they asked us to contact you in order to obtain the rights to the music.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Sam Lee

Don't forget to put your contact information somewhere too! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sam

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:36 pm

Ok, so i sent the email, but it keeps on getting sent back telling me that the email is incorrect. So i'm gonna call again and confirm the email
Back to top Go down
William

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 9:11 pm

I think you should ask about music copyrights for the website as well, if it's not too much work. It would help if there was music there too.
Back to top Go down
emanali

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 10:54 pm

my neat writing is sometimes hard to read:P
ill re-write it tommorow

Back to top Go down
emanali

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Catherine Jones from Universal emailed me back with a website that lets you know the publishers for each song, ill put it on word document if i could get your emails, and i will email it to you so that it is more organized. If you want the list!
Back to top Go down
emanali

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 11:03 pm

and if you want to check it out www.cmrra.ca
Back to top Go down
Sam

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 1:09 pm

kk sent the email Smile
Back to top Go down
emanali

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Can you please put the names of the artist's of the songs up?
Back to top Go down
Sam

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 4:41 pm

emanali wrote:
Can you please put the names of the artist's of the songs up?

in the email?
Back to top Go down
emanali

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 6:07 pm

No, for my email to Catherine. But its okay i got it from Sally. Thanks anyways.
Back to top Go down
delly.xo

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 7:23 pm

how many songs r there?
and how much is it per song? not too expenssive right? :S
Back to top Go down
sally

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 10:11 pm

Delly, there are 12 songs. We're not too sure about the price for the rights yet. I don't think it would be too much though
Back to top Go down
emanali

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 10:30 pm

We contacted the record company, but we found out that it has nothing to do with the record company, so now we need to contact the publishers, which we are in the process of doing.
Back to top Go down
Sam

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Ok good news GUYS!
I just got an email back from Diane (Universal rights lady)
And she said that Perfect by Hedley is approved Smile
She said that she's waiting for confirmation for the other songs but..... one song is goood Smile
Back to top Go down
emanali

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 7:21 pm

Good job and Sony?
and we didn't have to pay?
Back to top Go down
sally

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 8:34 pm

Good job! Smile All of other songs are probabyl going to be approved as well. Eman, how are yours coming along?
Back to top Go down
Sam

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Taking chances has been approved gratis as well. However, if a parent or someone videotapes it and puts it online, then a fee will be charged:(
Back to top Go down
sally

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 1:25 pm

Good job Sam Smile keep us updated with the music rights Smile
Back to top Go down
Sam

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Sony still hasn't replied yet, and there are 2 songs left for Universal
Back to top Go down
sally

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Well at least you tried. Even if they don't respond, you still have the emails to show that you tried and that's all that matters Smile
Back to top Go down
Sam

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Yeah Smile Thank you. Btw Eman, how are your songs coming along?
Back to top Go down
Tesia

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 7:21 pm

Good job, Sam! Keep us posted on the song count.
Back to top Go down
Sam

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 pm

ok, i kept emailing, but nobody has replied.
So I'm just gonna keep pestering them about it.
Back to top Go down
sally

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:11 pm

As long as you try Smile just keep emailing them Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Music Rights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Rights   Music Rights Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music Rights
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next